State Requirements

West Virginia / Non-Resident Adjuster Licensing / Individual

Search Again Apply Now
  • Fees shown are state fees only. These fees do not include NIPR transaction fees.
  • Per application.
  • West Virginia does not charge a fee to amend an existing license
  • Please note that license class names can vary by state.
  • Applications for Other lines of authority will defer to state for approval.



Company Adjuster

  • No Line of Authority Required

Public Adjuster

  • No Line of Authority Required

Crop Adjuster

  • No Line of Authority Required

Applicant Can

  • Submit adjuster for individuals electronically.
  • Submit adjuster for business entities electronically.
  • Submit Adjuster Designated Home State (ADHS) electronically.
  • Reinstate a license electronically.
  • Add lines of authority to an existing active license electronically.
  • Print licenses electronically.

Applicant Cannot

  • Submit adjuster for business entities electronically.

Business Rules

  • Applicant must be eighteen (18) years old or older as determined from the applicant's date of birth.

  • Company Adjuster: An individual representing the interests of the insurer, including independent contractors with the insurer and salaried employees of the insurer.

  • Public Adjuster: Any person who, for compensation or any other thing of value and solely in relation to first party claims arising under insurance contracts that insure the real or personal property of the insured, acts on behalf of the insured in negotiating for, or effecting the settlement of a claim for loss or damage covered by an insurance contract.

  • A person who advertises for employment as a public adjuster or solicits business or represents himself or herself to the public as a public adjuster.

  • A person who directly or indirectly solicits business, investigates or adjusts losses, or advises an insured about first party claims for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure real or personal property for another person engaged in the business of adjusting losses or damages covered by an insurance policy, for the insured.

Contact Information

Mailing Address

Offices of the Insurance Commissioner
Agents Licensing & Education
P.O. Box 50541
Charleston, WV 25305-0541
United States

Frequently Asked Questions

Pearson Vue 1-800)-274-2614
West Virginia Insurance

  • One Year

  • Every business entity must notify the department in writing of any change in their O/P/O/D - Owners, Officers, Partners, Directors. There is no form or fee to make changes. The notice should be in writing and should contain the business entity name and FEIN and the reported changes. The notice can be faxed, mailed or emailed to the Department.

Fingerprinting is required of all new resident producers, producers amending their license adding a major line and any new resident licensees relocating from another state.  To learn more about the fingerprinting requirement, please visit:
Fingerprint FAQs

  • When relocating from another state to West Virginia, a letter of clearance (if state provides) is required.  When relocating to another state from West Virginia, it is suggested the individual contact the state to see if a letter of clearance is required or if cancelling the license with WV is sufficient.  WV does provide letters of clearance, if required from the relocating state.
  • The fee is $10 and the form that is required to be completed and submitted to WV is found at: 
    Request for Letter of Clearance & Certification
  •  Letters of clearance are valid for 90 days or an individual may apply within 90 days of cancellation.