State Requirements

North Dakota / Resident Licensing / Individual

Search Again Apply Now
  • Fees shown are state fees only. These fees do not include NIPR transaction fees.
  • Per application.
  • Applicants who are reinstating an inactive license will be charged the initial licensing fee


Insurance Producer

  • Fee: $100.00
  • Amendment Fee: $0.00

Public Adjuster

  • Fee: $100.00

Surplus Lines Producer

  • Fee: $100.00
  • Amendment Fee: $0.00
  • NIPR does not verify exams prior to allowing submission of an application, however, an exam is required prior to the states approval of the request.
  • Please note that license class names can vary by state.

Insurance Producer

Exam Required

  • Life & Annuity
  • Accident & Health
  • Property
  • Casualty
  • Personal Lines
  • Credit
  • Crop
  • Legal Expense
  • Bail Bonds
  • Surety

No Exam Required

  • Variable Annuity & Life
  • Travel
  • Self-Service Storage
  • Title
  • Portable Electronics Insurance
  • Bail Bonds

Public Adjuster

Exam Required

  • Public Adjuster

Surplus Lines Producer

No Exam Required

  • No Line of Authority Required

Applicant Can

  • Submit initial license for individuals electronically.
  • Submit major lines of authority.
  • Submit limited lines of authority.
  • Submit surplus lines for individuals.
  • Applicant can add lines of authority (amend) to an existing active license.
  • Reinstate/reapply through NIPR's Resident License (RL) Application.
  • Print license electronically.

Business Rules

  • Public Adjuster applicants must submit bond requirement of $20,000 to

  • Applicant must not already hold equivalent license for the requested lines of authority (LOAs) in the state.

  • All applications for variable products license must be applying for life line of authority (LOA) license or already have an active Life line of authority (LOA).

  • Applicants for the Variable Annuity & Life line of authority (LOA) must supply FINRA CRD number on application.

  • An applicant applying for a surplus lines license must have an active North Dakotan insurance producer license with property and/or casualty line of authority (LOA) on the PDB.

  • If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. The documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax.

Contact Information

Mailing Address

North Dakota Department of Insurance
600 East Boulevard Avenue
Fifth Floor Dept. 401
Bismarck, ND 58505-0320
United States

Frequently Asked Questions

Online printing information can be found by going to NIPR's license print page and selecting the state.

Questions or inquiries, email

  • Request a letter of clearance from the North Dakota Insurance Department by submitting a written request by email, fax or regular mail. The form for this purpose can be found here. If a producer wants to cancel his or her North Dakota resident license, the Department needs a current mailing address to which the letter of clearance will be sent.

  • If a producer wants to switch their North Dakota resident license to a non-resident license, the producer should request a non-resident license in the written request for a letter of clearance. There is no fee to switch a resident license to a non-resident license. The Department needs the agent's physical residence, physical business and preferred mailing addresses in the agent's new resident state with current telephone numbers and an email address.

Agencies may submit a request to update information by forwarding a signed and dated letter directly to the North Dakota Insurance Department Agent Licensing Division. The request must include the entity name, license number, and full name of individual/entity to be added or removed.

"North Dakota licensees can submit primary name changes electronically through NIPR. Please access the following link:" 

One Year

"North Dakota licensees can submit primary name changes electronically through NIPR. Please access the following link:" 

NIPR is currently working with North Dakota to make access to Continuing Education (CE) transcript data available via MYNIPR. 


Click here to be directed to MyNIPR application.