- Fees shown are state fees only. These fees do not include NIPR transaction fees.
- Excess line Fee is based on Largest County in New York State in which applicant maintains an office or in which risks are located upon with the propose to place insurance as an excess line broker. Fee is $50.00 for county population of less than 100,000 and fee is $400.00 for county population of over 100,000.
- The full fee is to be reduced to a half fee if the license will be issued for a period of one (1) year or less. The filing fee is never reduced to a half fee. The license fee is based off when the application is submitted and when the expiration date is.
- The expiration date for individuals will be the individual applicant’s date of birth in an odd/even year (based on the applicant’s year of birth).
- Fee: $50.00
- Fee Disclaimers: county population of less than 100,000/Issued for greater than one year
- Fee: $400.00
- Fee Disclaimers: county population of over 100,000/Issued for greater than one year
- Fee: $25.00
- Fee Disclaimers: county population of less than 100,000/Issued for less than one year
- Fee: $200.00
- Fee Disclaimers: county population of more than 100,000/Issued for less than one year
- NIPR does not verify exams prior to allowing submission of an application, however, an exam is required prior to the states approval of the request.
- Please note that license class names can vary by state.
- Applications for Other lines of authority will defer to state for approval.
No Exam Required
- No Line of Authority Required
- Submit initial license for individuals electronically.
- Submit surplus lines for individuals.
- Print license electronically.
- Add lines of authority (amend) to an existing active license.
- Reinstate/reapply through NIPR's Resident License (RL) Application.
- Submit major lines of authority.
- Submit limited lines of authority.
Applicant must be at least eighteen (18) years old or older as determined from the applicant's date of birth.
The expiration date for individuals will be the individual applicant’s date of birth in an odd/even year (based on the applicant’s year of birth).
Applicant must have an active resident or non-resident license in New York.
Applicant applying for Excess Lines must hold an active Broker license with Property and Casualty.
Applicants with inactive licenses must submit a paper application to the New York Department of Insurance. Use the New York State Insurance Department's Producer Search on the state's website to determine if a license has been previously issued.
If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. The documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax.
As soon as the license is issued, the applicant will be able to print electronically by accessing the Department's website. Use the Producer Search to determine if the license has been issued and the license number to print the license.
When attempting to access licensing applications, please include the alpha characters ('LA-','PC-','BR-' etc) in front of the New York license number.
- Cybersecurity Regulation:
- New York Department of Financial Services licensees are required to comply with Cybersecurity Regulation (23 NYCRR Part 500), which requires the establishment of a cybersecurity program to protect non-public information and has filing requirements that must be met. A copy of the regulation, FAQs, and more information about cybersecurity can be found on the DFS Website. Failure to implement a cybersecurity program and comply with the regulation could result in serious harm to your institution and may subject you to disciplinary action.
Contact InformationMailing Address
New York Department of Financial Services
One State Street
New York, NY 10004-1511
Frequently Asked Questions
- The licensee must submit a letter in writing requesting cancellation of the license(s); the license(s) must be returned with the request. If the license is not in the licensee's possession, the licensee must clearly state this in the letter. You can obtain a letter of clearance from Letters of Clearance
Online printing information can be found by going to NIPR's license print page and selecting the state.
- 2 years
- You must submit documentation to our Department to verify the name change, along with your original license.
- You must submit documentation to our Department to verify the name change, along with your original license. NAME CHANGES FOR ENTITIES MUST INCLUDE AMENDED FILING RECEIPTS OR BUSINESS CERTIFICATES AND THE RETURN OF ALL LICENSES IN THE PREVIOUS NAME.
- DRLP can be added at time of renewal. Outside of renewal, a supplemental application must be completed and submitted. Supplemental applications and instructions can be found on the Department's website at:
- Licensing Application Forms and Class Information
- To report a change in an officer or directors of a licensed entity, a letter must be submitted providing a list of all changes. If a new sublicensee is being added, a supplemental application must be completed and submitted. Supplemental applications and instructions can be found on the Department's website at
- Licensing Application Forms and Class Information
- If you are currently licensed in both states, you can change your address on our website and select New York as your home state.
- To access the Online Producer Services applications, please select this link: https://myportal.dfs.ny.gov/nylinxext/ , OR submit an address change form along with a written statement to switch the home state to New York.