State Requirements

Massachusetts / Resident Licensing / Individual

Search Again Apply Now
  • Fees shown are state fees only. These fees do not include NIPR transaction fees.
  • All fees are charged per application
  • Fee is waived for veterans or the legally blind.
  • Additional Fee: Producer applicants applying for casualty, property, and/or personal lines LOAs are charged an additional $75 lead paint surcharge fee.
  • Note: Reapplication fee is the same as initial license fee


  • Fee: $225.00

Surplus Lines Broker

  • Fee: $150.00
  • NIPR verifies exams prior to allowing submission of an application.
  • Please note that license class names can vary by state.


Exam Required

  • Life
  • Accident & Health or Sickness
  • Property
  • Casualty
  • Personal Lines
  • Credit

No Exam Required

  • Variable Annuity & Variable Life Products
  • Travel, Accident & Baggage

Surplus Lines Broker

No Exam Required

  • Property & Casualty

Applicant Can

  • Submit initial license for individuals electronically.
  • Submit surplus lines for individuals.
  • Reapply through NIPR's Resident License Application.

Applicant Cannot

  • Add lines of authority (amend) to an existing active license.
  • Print Licenses Electronically.

Business Rules

  • Massachusetts does not offer online license printing. Licensees must contact the state.

  • Applicants for the variable line of authority must supply FINRA Central Registry Depository (CRD) number on the application.  If you need to verify your CRD number you may use the Broker Search feature found on FINRA’s website.

  • Applicant must currently hold or be applying for life if they are applying for variable.

  • Applicant may not enter DBA name.

  • If applicant answers yes to "Are you legally blind?” Applicant must submit supporting documentation to the state.

  • Producer only: If applicant answers yes to “Are you a Massachusetts resident military veteran?” Applicant must submit supporting documentation (DD-214) to the state.

  • Surplus lines broker applicants must actively hold both producer property and casualty lines of authority.

  • Surplus lines broker applicants may reapply through the Resident License application immediately after license expiration.

  • Producer Applicants may apply for reinstatement through Resident License Renewal Application starting the day after the expiration date and up to one (1) year past the expiration date. Reinstatement applications will include a penalty fee. After the year has expired, the applicant must apply as a new applicant through NIPR's Resident License Application.

  • Applicant must not have an active non-resident license in the state.

  • All phone and fax numbers entered on application, including submitter information, must follow these rules:
    • No lengths greater than ten (10) characters.
    • Numeric values only.
  • Exam validations will occur for new licenses and for those licensees adding new lines of authority that require examinations.

  • If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. The documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax. All other required documentation must be forwarded directly to the state.

Contact Information

Mailing Address

Massachusetts Division of Insurance
1000 Washington Street, Suite 810
Boston, MA 02118-6200
United States

Frequently Asked Questions

Massachusetts does not offer online license printing. Please follow the link to the state website.

A licensee must place their termination letter in writing to the Division of Insurance, Producer Licensing Department’s attention.  In the letter, they must stipulate what they would like to have happen to their licenses.  We prefer that their licenses are also included with the letters.

One year

Send this information in writing to the attention of Duncan Kayondo, Corporate Licensing Administrator. Duncan's email address is

It depends whether one is moving into the state or whether one is moving out of state. A licensee would have to notify the Division of Insurance’s Producer Licensing Department in writing or may call the Department for further instructions at (617- 521-7794 and opt for line #3). 

  • If one is moving into MA, he/she has 90 days to make the changes without having to take the MA exams, of course they would have to terminate their old resident license first.  MA verifies prior licensure via PDB.  
  • If one is moving out of MA, we would need that info in writing and the license would be terminated, as the licensee has now moved out of state.  If the licensee becomes licensed in new state and wants to remain licensed as a non-resident in MA; he/she must notify the Producer Licensing Dept as soon as they hold a new resident license in his/her new resident state.   If there was time left on their MA license which now has a status of moved from state; MA will reactivate license and change to non-resident license.

Send request to change business entities contact information to

or call 800-741-9380

Individual legal name changes should be sent to the Producer Update Mailbox with the legal change documents attached at:

Business Entities will need to send their changes to the corporate licensing administrator, Duncan Kayondo, along with their resident state new Certificate of Existence, the unexecuted MA Secretary of State’s corporate division’s amendment document based upon type of business. Email: