State Requirements

Hawaii / Resident Licensing / Individual

Search Again Apply Now
  • Fees shown are state fees only. These fees do not include NIPR transaction fees.
  • No fees for adding a line of authority to an existing license.
  • All fees are Per application
  • Attention: Please click below to review the fees.
Retaliatory Fees

Insurance Producer

  • Fee Disclaimers: See Link for Fee

Limited Lines Producer

  • Fee Disclaimers: See Link for Fee

Limited Lines Motor Vehicle Company Insurance Producer

  • Fee Disclaimers: See Link for Fee

Surplus Lines Broker

  • Fee Disclaimers: See Link for Fee
  • NIPR verifies exams prior to allowing submission of an application.
  • Please note that license class names can vary by state.

Insurance Producer

Exam Required

  • Life
  • Accident, Health or Sickness
  • Property
  • Casualty
  • Personal Lines
  • Surety
  • Title

No Exam Required

  • Variable Life & Variable Annuity Products

Limited Lines Producer

No Exam Required

  • Credit Life
  • Credit Disability
  • Travel Baggage
  • Travel Disability

Limited Lines Motor Vehicle Rental Company Producer

No Exam Required

  • Emergency Sickness / Limited Lines Motor Vehicle Rental Company Producer
  • Incidental Travel / Limited Lines Motor Vehicle Rental Company Producer
  • Inland Marine Personal Effects / Limited Lines Motor Vehicle Rental Company Producer
  • Liability / Limited Lines Motor Vehicle Rental Company Producer
  • Personal Accident / Limited Lines Motor Vehicle Rental Company Producer
  • Roadside Assistance / Limited Lines Motor Vehicle Rental Company Producer
  • Underinsured Motorist / Limited Lines Motor Vehicle Rental Company Producer
  • Uninsured Motorist / Limited Lines Motor Vehicle Rental Company Producer
  • Vehicle Related Coverage / Limited Lines Motor Vehicle Rental Company Producer

Surplus Lines Broker

Exam Required

  • Property
  • Casualty
  • Personal Lines Only

Applicant Can

  • Submit initial license for individuals electronically.
  • Submit major lines of authority.
  • Submit limited lines of authority.
  • Submit surplus lines for individuals.
  • Add lines of authority (amend) to an existing active license.
  • Print license electronically.

Applicant Cannot

  • Reinstate/reapply through NIPR's Resident License Application.

Business Rules

  • A licensee shall apply to the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (”DCCA”) and the Insurance Commissioner for approval of the use or change of a trade name.

  • Insurance producer and surplus lines applicants must successfully pass the Hawaii insurance producer licensing exam(s). Hawaii does not allow any professional insurance designations as exemptions to licensing examinations.

  • An appointment form does not need to be submitted with the application. However, to §431:9A-114 Appointments: (a) an insurance producer shall not act as an agent of an insurer unless the insurance producer becomes an appointed agent of that insurer or is contracted with and appointed by an insurance producer so appointed.

  • Applicants must provide a valid Hawaii residence or business address. Address may not contain a P.O. Box.

  • Licensees must have a General Excise Tax License, as required under the tax laws for the State of Hawaii. Please contact the state Department of Taxation for more information.

  • Fingerprinting is required for resident license applications, effective November 1st, 2010:
    • Applicants are required to be fingerprinted prior to submitting a license application for initial license or license reactivation.
    • To obtain fingerprints, contact our fingerprinting vendor, FieldPrint, to schedule an appointment. Fees for fingerprinting (including state and federal submission fees) are collected by FieldPrint.
  • Applicants for the variable line of authority (LOA) must supply FINRA CRD number on application. If you need to verify your CRD number you may use the Broker Search feature found on FINRA’s website.

  • All phone and fax numbers entered on application must contain ten (10) digits.

  • When applying for surplus lines broker license, applicant must only apply for casualty, property, or personal lines.

  • Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.

  • Business email and business phone are required fields.

  • Applicant may not enter the following address as the residence or business address:
    • 350 Ward Ave., Suite 106
      Honolulu, HI 96814
  • If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. Documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax.

  • License Reactivation

    • Licenses are subject to reactivation if they are within two years of the most recent LOA status. Those wishing to reactivate their license should contact the Hawaii Division of Insurance at 1-808-586-2788.

Contact Information

Mailing Address

Hawaii Division of Insurance
P.O. Box 3614
Honolulu, HI 96813-3614
United States

Frequently Asked Questions

Online printing information can be found by going to NIPR's license print page and selecting the state.

Go to Look under "AGENT & AGENCY LICENSES" for all applicable information for Licensing section.

Active Hawaii Resident Producer Converting to Hawaii Nonresident Producer:

  1. Form AC Change of address
  2. Letter of Certification issued by your new home state showing that you are licensed as a Resident Producer.
  3. Appointments:Form APPT – Notice of New Appointment

Active Hawaii Nonresident Producer Converting to Hawaii Resident Producer:

  1. If the National Producer Database (PDB) shows that you currently hold an active resident license in another state, a clearance letter from that state will be required.
  2. Successfully pass the Hawaii Insurance License Exam(s). Contact our exam administrator, Pearson Vue to register for an exam. Call toll free at 1-800-274-2608. View our Candidate Handbook at Pearson Vue's website. Exam is not required if application is received within ninety days of the cancellation of the applicant's previous resident license and if the producer was licensed in good standing.
  3. Obtain fingerprints. See instructions
  4. A complete paper application includes:
    1. Form HPL – Hawaii Application for Individual Insurance License. Or NAIC Uniform Application. Submit one with original signature.
    2. Licensing Fees. Make check payable to DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE AND CONSUMER AFFAIRS.
    3. Appointments:Form APPT – Notice of New Appointment

Two Years

Contacting Pearson VUE at 1-800-274-2608


Visit the Pearson VUE website

HI is not an affiliation State. The documents found at the following links must be submitted to add/delete a designated representative.

To Add Form

To Delete Form

Report the changes to State of Hawaii insurance licensing branch at

Go to online CCR service via NIPR, or contact State of Hawaii insurance licensing branch

Licensees may submit this form to request a Letter of Certification or a Letter of Clearance: Request Letter

The following link must be submitted to cancel or surrender a license: Voluntary Surrender of Insurance License

The following link should be submitted to Add or Remove a Line of Authority from a Hawaii license: Add/Remove LOA