- Fees shown are state fees only. These fees do not include NIPR transaction fees.
- Fees are per application.
- Amendment fees will be charged at the application level and will be the same as the original licensing fee.
- Applicants reinstating an expired license will be charged the initial licensing fee.
- Fee: $50.00
- Amendment Fee: $50.00
- Fee: $100.00
- Amendment Fee: $100.00
Surplus Line Agent
- Fee: $120.00
- Amendment Fee: $120.00
- NIPR verifies exams prior to allowing submission of an application.
- Please note that license class names can vary by state.
- Accident & Health
- Personal Lines
No Exam Required
- Variable Contracts
- Credit Products
- Travel, Accident & Baggage
- Bail Bondsman
- Title Practice Attorney
- No Line of Authority Required
Surplus Lines Agent
No Exam Required
- No Line of Authority Required
- Submit initial license for individuals electronically.
- Submit major lines of authority.
- Submit limited lines of authority.
- Submit surplus lines for individuals.
- Add lines of authority (amend) to an existing active license.
- Reinstate/reapply through NIPR's Resident License (RL) Application.
- Print licenses electronically
- Applicants who are required to take an exam must submit a fingerprint-based criminal background check and AND a signed FINGERPRINT POLICY AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM before your application can be reviewed. Policy is found on the Tennessee Dept. of Commerce & Insurance website at https://www.tn.gov/commerce/insurance/agent-producer-resources/licensing-packets-instructions-forms.html. Click on Fingerprinting Information. The acknowledgement form (last page of policy)can be emailed to the Agent Licensing Section at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicant must be at least eighteen (18) years old or older as determined from the applicant's date of birth.
Applicant's name, birth date, license number, state of residence, and Tax ID must match current Producer Database (PDB) record for resident state.
Applicant's residence address must be in the state of Tennessee.
Applicant must provide a valid country code, mailing address, business email, and resident phone number.
- Insurance Producers applicants can reapply through Resident License (RL) Application after one year following license expiration date. From the expiration date to one year after the expiration date the applicant will late renew through Resident License Renewal (RLR) Application.
Applicants reapplying must not have any of the following status reasons: revoked, suspended, never relicense, denial - original license, denied for cause, or disciplinary term.
Variable contracts applicants must be pre-licensed for the life line of authority (LOA) prior to applying for variable contracts.
Surplus lines agent applicants must have an active Insurance Producer license in Tennessee prior to applying for surplus lines agent.
If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. The documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax.
Contact InformationMailing Address
Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance
Agent Licensing Section
500 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243-1134
Frequently Asked Questions
Online printing information can be found by going to NIPR's license print page and selecting the state.
Pearson VUE 1-800-274-4957
- One Year*
*Note: Fingerprint based criminal background checks are valid for 6 months.
- Entities may request a name change by submitting a signed and dated request on the business entities letterhead directly to the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance. The request must include the entities current name, new name, Tennessee license number and any legal documentation supporting the request.
- Entities may submit a request to update information by submitting a signed and dated request directly to the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance. The request must include the entity name, Tennessee license number, and full name of individual/entity to be added or removed.
- Entities may submit a request to update information by submitting a signed and dated request directly to the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance. The request must include the entity name, Tennessee license number, and full name and Tennessee license number of individual to be added or removed.
- Licensees may request to cancel or inactivate licenses by submitting a signed and dated request directly to the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance. The request must be submitted and signed by the licensee and include the licensee’s full name and Tennessee license number.
- Licensees attempting to change residency status from resident to nonresident or nonresident to resident must contact the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance directly for assistance.
NIPR is currently working with Tennessee to make access to Continuing Education (CE) transcript data available via MYNIPR.
Click here to be directed to MyNIPR application.