- Fees shown are state fees only. These fees do not include NIPR transaction fees.
- All fees are charged per application.
Company/Independent Firm Adjuster
- Fee: $169.00
- Reinstatement Fee: $159.00
- Fee: $114.00
- Reinstatement Fee: $104.00
- Fee: $169.00
- Reinstatement Fee: $184.00
Self-Employed Insurance Adjuster
- Fee: $169.00
- Reinstatement Fee: $159.00
- Please note that license class names can vary by state.
- Applications for Other lines of authority will defer to state for approval.
Company / Independent Firm Adjuster
- Company / Independent Firm Adjuster
- Hail Adjuster
- Public Adjuster
- Self-Employed Adjuster
- Submit adjuster for individuals electronically.
- Submit Adjuster Designated Home State (ADHS) electronically.
- Reinstate a license electronically.
- Print licenses electronically.
- Add lines of authority to an existing active license electronically.
If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. The documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax.
Applications that are pending additional information or requirements will be declined by the state if no response is received from the applicant within thirty (30) days of notification regarding application deficiency.
Applicant must be eighteen (18) years old or older as determined from the applicant's date of birth.
Adjuster applicants may not hold an active insurance producer license with Property, Casualty, and/or Personal Lines line of authority.
Applicants may not apply for or hold a Public Adjuster license and a Motor Vehicle Damage Appraiser license simultaneously.
Public Adjusters must submit either a $20,000 bond or a credit in the amount of $20,000 from a qualified financial institution. Completed original North Carolina Bond-PA form must be mailed. Documentation can be submitted to the state via the instructions on the Initial & Renewal Insurance License Documentation Submission page.
Effective May 11, 2012, the North Carolina Licensing Office of Pearson VUE handles the initial review of all new license applications, responds to applicant inquires on the license process/application status, and collects all supporting documentation for application review. Applications that need additional regulatory review will be referred to the Agent Services Division for a licensing decision. Additional information on the license administration services provided by Pearson VUE is available at the state.
- Adjuster Designated Home State (ADHS) Rules:
- In order for an applicant to designate a home state, the applicant must have an active non-resident Adjuster license on the Producer Database (PDB) and no active resident Adjuster license.
- If applicant holds only an insurance producer (non-adjuster) resident license in a state that licenses resident Adjusters, applicant is not permitted to designate an active non-resident adjuster license as their home state license. If applicant holds a insurance producer (non-adjuster) resident license in a state that does not license resident adjusters, applicant is allowed to designate a home state.
- If applicant has an active resident Adjuster license on the PDB, this license must be used to apply for a non-resident Adjuster license. Applicant may not designate a home state.
- If applicant has an active insurance producer (non-adjuster) resident license, and no active non-resident Adjuster license, applicant must use current active resident license to apply for a non-resident Adjuster license.
Contact InformationMailing Address
North Carolina Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 14209
Raleigh, NC 27620
Frequently Asked Questions
Online printing information can be found by going to NIPR's license print page and selecting the state..
NCDOI will honor a test score for up to one year after the exam.
Candidates required to complete Pre-licensing Education must pass their examination(s) within 90 days of the education completion date OR within 5 examination attempts over the 90 day period, whichever comes first
Send written notification to Agent Services Division, 1204 Mail Service Center Raleigh, NC 27699-1204. The notification must include the previous and new name, social security number and the licensee's signature. Attach a copy of the marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other legal document showing the reason for the name change. The written notice may also be sent by email or by fax to 888-959-3010.
Send written notification on letterhead to Agent Services Division, 1204 Mail Service Center Raleigh, NC 27699-1204. The notification must include the name and NPN or SSN of the new officer/owner and instructions regarding the old officer/owner. If the new owner is a business entity, provide the FEIN. The written notice may also be faxed to 888-959-3010 or sent via email as an attachment.
Return the license(s) with a written request to cancel them. Be sure the request is signed. If you are unable to find your license(s), submit a statement requesting license cancellation. The statement must be signed and must indicate which licenses you wish canceled. Indicate your name and complete social security number. Agent Services Division accepts third-party license cancellations for company-sponsored licenses only.
Pearson VUE 1- 800-274-0668
Send written notification to Agent Services Division, 1204 Mail Service Center Raleigh, NC 27699-1204. The notification must include the previous and new name and tax identification number. IF THE NAME CHANGE ALSO INVOLVES A CHANGE OF TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER, THEN THE BUSINESS ENTITY MUST REAPPLY FOR LICENSURE USING THE NC-CP APPLICATION, FEE, AND ATTACH THE REQUIRED CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORITY FROM THE NC SECRETARY OF STATE SHOWING THE NEW NAME. The written notice may also be sent by email or by fax to 888-959-3010.
NC does not do affiliations. For changes of DRLP, send written notification on letterhead to Agent Services Division, 1204 Mail Service Center Raleigh, NC 27699-1204. The notification must include the name and NPN of the new DRLP and instructions regarding the old DRLP (delete or leave). The written notice may also be sent via email as an attachment or by fax to 888-959-3010.