State Requirements

Vermont / Non-Resident Licensing / Business

Search Again Apply Now
  • Fees shown are state fees only. These fees do not include NIPR transaction fees.
  • Per transaction, not per LOA. The fee charged in the resident state determines these fees.
  • Attention: The state you have selected imposes a retaliatory fee. Please click below to review the fees.

Retaliatory Fees

Insurance Producer

Line of Authority Combination: No Line of Authority Required

  • Fee Disclaimers: See Retaliatory Fee

Limited Lines Producer

Line of Authority Combination: Credit, Car Rental, Limited Lines, Travel, Self Storage

  • Fee Disclaimers: See Retaliatory Fee

Portable Electronics

Line of Authority Combination: Portable Electronics

  • Fee Disclaimers: See Retaliatory Fee
  • Applications for Other lines of authority will defer to state for approval.

Insurance Producer

DRLP Required

  • No Line of Authority Required

Limited Lines Producer

DRLP Required

  • Car Rental
  • Credit
  • Travel
  • Limited Lines
  • Self Storage

Portable Electronics

  • Portable Electronics

Applicant Can

  • Submit initial license for business entities electronically.
  • Submit major lines of authority. (No LOAs in Vermont)
  • Submit limited lines of authority.
  • Reinstate/reapply through NIPR's Non-Resident License (NRL) Application.
  • Print license electronically.

Applicant Cannot

  • Submit surplus lines for business entities.
  • Add lines of authority (amend) to an existing active license.

Business Rules

  • Applicant's name, Tax ID, license number, and state of residence must match current Producer Database (PDB) record for resident state.

  • Applicant may not apply for a license in their own resident state.

  • Reinstatement applications are allowed immediately after license expiration date.

  • Applicant is required to enter exactly one Designated Responsible Licensed Producer (DRLP) that is actively licensed in Vermont. Applicant may not enter more than one DRLP.

  • Please allow up to 10 business days to process the application. If your application was accepted, please visit the Vermont website at and choose Check the Status of a License. You will be able to print documentation containing the status of your license.

  • If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. The documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax.

  • IMPORTANT NOTICE: Vermont producer licenses expire on a common expiration date of March 31 of odd years. If you apply for a license now, you will pay the initial license and application fee for a license that expires on March 31, of the next odd year. You will also receive an invoice for the license renewal fee prior to the expiration date of that license. All applications received at the Insurance Department after March 1st, off the odd year will not be issued effective until April 1st, of the same odd year, unless a specific request is made.

Contact Information

Mailing Address

Vermont Department of Financial Regulation
89 Main Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-3101
United States

Special Instructions

Producer and Individual Licensing:

License Printing:


Frequently Asked Questions

Online printing information can be found by going to NIPR's license print page and selecting the state.

The scores are good for 2 years from the date of the examination.

"Vermont licensees can submit primary name changes electronically through NIPR. Please access the following link:" 

"Vermont licensees can submit primary name changes electronically through NIPR. Please access the following link:" 

Currently, they send the changes into the Department. It can be done via email to or fax to 802-828-1633.

Changes to Owner’s Partners Officers and Directors do not need to be reported to the state.

They would send the request in as a voluntary surrender of license, must be signed and dated by the individual licensee. They can scan and email attachment, fax, or send regular mail to: Attn: Producer Licensing, Department of Financial Regulation, 89 Main Street, Montpelier, VT 05602-3101.

NIPR is currently working with Vermont to make access to Continuing Education (CE) transcript data available via MYNIPR. 


Click here to be directed to MyNIPR application.