- Fees shown are state fees only. These fees do not include NIPR transaction fees.
- All fees are charged per application.
- There is no fee to amend license.
All license classes
- Fee: $50.00
- NIPR verifies exams prior to allowing submission of an application.
- Please note that license class names can vary by state.
- Applications for Other lines of authority will defer to state for approval.
- Accident & Health
- Personal Lines
No Exam Required
- Variable Life, Variable Annuity
Surplus Lines Producer
- No Line of Authority Required.
- No Line of Authority Required.
- Submit initial license for individuals electronically.
- Submit major lines of authority.
- Submit limited lines of authority.
- Submit surplus lines for individuals.
- Add lines of authority (amend) to an existing active license.
- Reinstate/reapply through NIPR's Resident License (RL) Application.
- Print Licenses Electronically.
Applicant must be eighteen (18) years old or older as determined from the applicant’s date of birth.
Applicant must not hold another active resident license in another state or a non-resident license in Iowa.
P.O. Boxes are allowed for mailing addresses only.
All licenses that have been suspended or revoked, applicant should contact the state.
Applicant must not have any serious RIRS actions or 1033 actions. Please contact the state if applicable.
All Non-Citizens of the U.S. must provide a copy of a work permit issued by the Department of Immigration to the state.
Applicant must pass an examination for all lines of authority (lines of authority) except Variable Life, Variable Annuity. Iowa exams are valid for ninety (90) days from the exam date. For any questions regarding exams please contact the state.
Variable applicants must have passed Series 6 or 7 and Series 63 or 66. Iowa Department of Insurance will verify through FINRA. Applicants for the Variable Life, Variable Annuity, line of authority must supply FINRA CRD number on application.
If applying for Variable Life/Variable Annuity line of authority, applicant must hold an active Life line of authority or be applying simultaneously within the same application..
Applicant is required to supply five (5) years of employment history in the application without date gaps. This can be full and part-time work, self-employment, military service, unemployment and full-time education.
Applicant can reinstate license up to and including twelve (12) months from the date of the license expiration through the Resident License Renewal (RLR) Application. If license has been non-renewed for more than twelve (12) months, it will be processed as a new application through the Resident License (RL) Application.
All licenses that have been cancelled, surrendered, or terminated for over thirty (30) days need to apply for a new license.
All applications for Public Adjuster are deferred to the state for Proof of Financial Responsibility. See Iowa Administrative Code 191—55.10(82GA, HF499) Evidence of Financial Responsibility.
Applicants applying for a Surplus Lines license must first hold an active Property and Casualty line of authority or submit simultaneously.
If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. The documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax.
Frequently Asked Questions
Online printing information can be found by going to NIPR's license print page and selecting the state.
Resident state changes cannot be done online. Please contact the Iowa Insurance Division, Producer Licensing for procedure. Phone #515-281-5705 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exams are valid for 90 days.
Pearson Vue 1-877-540-5825
These changes are not tracked by the department and do not need to be reported.