WASHINGTON Non-Resident Licensing for Individuals


State Announcements

There are no announcements for Washington at this time.

Primary Rules (Individual)

Response Question
Yes Accepts initial license for individuals electronically.
Yes Accepts major lines of authority.
No Accepts limited lines of authority.
Yes Accepts surplus lines for individuals.
No Applicant can add lines of authority (amend) to an existing active license.
No Applicant can reinstate/reapply through NIPR's Non-Resident License (NRL) Application
Yes License printing available electronically.

License Printing

To print your license, click the state on NIPR's Producer Licensing Map.

Business Rules (Individual)

Applicants who have already applied for a license with Washington must wait for the application to be approved or declined before applying for an additional license. If you have a pending application with WA any subsequent transaction will be declined.

Applicants who hold inactive Washington licenses can:

  • If applicant has ever had a Washington State license, they are required to go through the state website in order to be re-licensed.
  • Reissue a license that was canceled prior to its expiration date which is still in the future through Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner through Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner on the state website.
  • Reapply for a license that expired more than three hundred and sixty-five (365) days after the expiration date through Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner on the state website.
  • Reinstate their license sixty-one (61) to three hundred and sixty-five (365) days after expiration date through Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner through Washington Office of the Insurance Commissioner on the state website.

Applicant must be affiliated after license has been issued but prior to representing a business entity. Affiliation data entered on this application will not be used. Affiliations must be completed by the business entity on the Washington website.

Applicant must provide a valid email address as their point of contact for all Washington State licensing matters.

Applicants for the Variable Life and Variable Annuity (LOA) must supply FINRA CRD number on application.

Applicants who have property, casualty, and personal LOAs in their home state, choosing to apply for personal lines in Washington, may apply for personal lines only, or personal lines in combination with either property or casualty, but not with both property and casualty.

If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. The documents may also be submitted to the state via secure email (contact OIC for information on how to submit).

State Offerings (Individual)

Please note that license class names can vary by state.

License Class Line of Authority (LOA)
Insurance Producer Life
Insurance Producer Disability
Insurance Producer Property
Insurance Producer Casualty
Insurance Producer Personal Lines
Insurance Producer Variable Life and Variable Annuity
Surplus Line Broker None

* Applications for Other lines of authority will defer to state for approval.

License Fees (Individual)

Fees shown are state fees only. These fees do not include NIPR transaction fees.

License Class / LOA Combination Fee *
Insurance Producer / All LOAs $60.00
Surplus Line Broker / None $205.00**

* Per application.

**Surplus line broker will be available starting December 13th, 2013.


Last Update: 4/09/2019


WASHINGTON Non-Resident Licensing for Business Entities

The state of Washington licenses non-resident business entities electronically at https://www.insurance.wa.gov/business-entity-non-resident


Last Update: 7/3/2019