Attention Louisiana Applicants:
If you are unsure of what license or line(s) you should apply for, please verify before continuing with the application. You may apply for multiple lines at the same time; however please note that the license application will not be processed until qualifications for all authorities on the application are met. Avoid these common errors, which may result in
non-refundable payment of fees.
- Applicant marked the incorrect line of authority when completing the application.
- Applicant applied for an agency license that was already held by the agency.
- Applicant completed two identical applications.
- Applicant applied for a license they are not required to hold.
- Applicant applied for a license they were not qualified to hold.
Do not submit an application unless all supporting documentation for any disclosures is on hand and ready to submit. If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions, supporting documents should be submitted electronically via NIPR's Attachment Warehouse.. All supporting documents must be uploaded to the Attachment Warehouse prior to but no later than the date of application submission to be considered timely disclosed. Applications with "Yes" answers without complete supporting documentation provided as of the date of application are subject to being closed as incomplete without further notice.
Supporting documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax. If the applicant chooses to submit via mail, e-mail or fax, the documents must be submitted to the Louisiana Department of Insurance that same day as the license application and must include the transaction number and the applicant's name. Documentation submitted via mail must be postmarked within 24 hours of application submission.
Applicant must be at least eighteen (18) years old or older as determined from the applicant's date of birth.
An affiliation is not required to apply for a license and the applicant may skip the "Affiliations" page on the uniform application. Please note that any affiliations listed on an individual application are not recognized as a notification of affiliation and are not recorded by the Louisiana Department of Insurance. If an individual is to be affiliated with a business entity, the agency must file the affiliation after the individual is licensed.
Applicant must not have another active resident state on PDB.
Applicant must provide residence, business or mailing address in Louisiana. Only the mailing address may contain a P.O. Box.
Applicants for the variable line of authority (LOA) must supply FINRA CRD number on application.
- All new Resident Producers who become licensed on or after January 1st, 2010 are required to be fingerprinted and have a criminal background check performed as part of the license application requirements.
- Fingerprints must be done at a PSI test center in Louisiana using live scan technology which digitally captures and transmits the fingerprints. Test center locations in Louisiana may be found by going to PSI website.The fingerprinting fee will be collected by PSI at the time the appointment is scheduled. For further information on fingerprinting procedures, please go to the Louisiana DOI website.
- Please note that fingerprints are not needed for amendments.
Applicants who submit a surplus lines license must have passed the surplus lines exam and have at least of two (2) years property and casualty experience before a license is granted by Louisiana Department of Insurance.
An applicant may reapply if the LOA is inactive with a status reason of lapsed or cancelled and the current date is more than two (2) years past the license expiration date.
If applicant responds yes to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPRs Attachments Warehouse. The documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax.