Wisconsin does NOT require a firm to be licensed, however, the option to obtain the license is available.
The Intermediary Firm license on the Producer Database and license certificate will display as Intermediary (Producer) Firm on the online application to help Producers select the correct license class. These two license class names are the same.
A firm has no authority to transact insurance business in our state—the authority to transact insurance business lies with the Designated Responsible Producer (DRLP) and the lines of authority they actively hold.
At least one (1) Designated Responsible License Producer (DRLP) must be listed on the application and hold an active resident or non-resident Intermediary (Producer) Individual license in Wisconsin for applicable licenses. Please see State Offerings section below.
Applicants applying for the Managing General Agent Firm license must have at least one DRLP licensed with an active Managing General Agent Individual license in the state of Wisconsin (resident or non-resident).
Navigator Business Entity must submit renewals via paper application to the state. Applicants must submit evidence from a licensed insurer of a bond (or other evidence of financial responsibility) held by the entity in an amount no less than $100,000 and a list including license numbers of all individual navigators employed, supervised or affiliated with the applicant. Contact the state for additional instruction.
Applicants applying for the Travel Insurance Firm license must have at least one DRLP licensed with an active Intermediary (Producer) Individual license with the Travel LOA in the state of Wisconsin (resident or non-resident).
Life Settlement Firm (Viatical Settlement) are required to submit to the state for renewal:
- An original endorsement from a licensed insurer identifying professional liability insurance held in an amount not less than $1 million total annual aggregate.
- A list of licensed providers and provide the name and addresses of companies the broker will be representing.
- Provide copy of certificate of completion issued to the designated responsible Wisconsin-licensed individual representative regarding the 2-hour training requirement.
- Applicants can e-mail the documentation to the state.
Employee Benefit Plan Administrators are required to submit to the state for renewal:
- If any changes in bond coverage, proof of a new original Performance Bond (signed & sealed) between $15,000.00 and $500,000.00 if there has been any change.
- Financial Statements for the administrator’s most recent completed fiscal year. (balance sheet & income statement)
- Applicants must mail original performance bond directly to the state. All other documentation may be submitted via email at email@example.com.
Note: An affiliation is not required and the applicant may skip the "Affiliations" page on the uniform application.
For user guides & walk-through of our electronic application please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. The documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax.
Please check Announcements for any last minute notifications about the states to which you are applying.
Applicants Please Read: Applicant should submit required documentation by license expiration date. Failure to submit requested information will result in the application being closed as expired and the WI producer license inactivated. All fees are non-refundable.
If you applied for a license type in error, you will need to submit a written request to our office requesting the withdrawal of the application. The application process and the withdrawal of the application represents an administrative expense for the agency and, therefore, the fees are non-refundable.