Note: Applicants should submit a resident initial application on NIPR prior to taking any required licensing examinations. Licensing exams cannot be scheduled until you complete a license application online with NIPR and receive an email authorization from PearsonVUE that you are eligible to take an exam. NIPR will reserve a National insurance producer Number (NPN) for applicants when they submit an application as part of the process if they do not already have a NPN previously assigned by NIPR.
Applications are pended by the state for additional information and exam/fingerprint submission requirements if applicable. NIPR applications are valid for six (6) months from the application submission date and the applicant must complete all requirements for the license application to be completed within this timeframe. There is an Insurance Candidate Guide, Resident Licensing Checklist, and Resident License Flow Chart posted on the Department's website.
Applicant must be 18 years old or older as determined from the applicant's Date of Birth.
Applicant must provide a valid phone number and business email address.
Applicants applying for Variable life & Variable Annuity Products must supply FINRA CRD # on the application.
Applicants applying for Variable Life and Variable Annuity Product line of authority (LOA) must hold an active resident Life line of authority or be applying for Life line of authority to be eligible for Variable Life and Variable Annuity Product line of authority.
Applicants applying for Medicare Supplement/Long Term Care line of authority must have an active insurance producer license with Accident and Health or Sickness line of authority prior to applying for Medicare Support/Long Term care.
An application for Personal Lines will not be allowed if the applicant already holds an active Property or Casualty line of authority. Personal Lines is included in the Property and Casualty line of authority.
Surplus Lines applicants must have an active insurance producer license with the Property line of authority prior to applying for Surplus Lines.
Resident Surplus Lines individuals and Business Entities also need to be active members of the North Carolina Surplus Lines Association (NCSLA) pursuant to NC General Statute 58-21-40(d). NCSLA membership information can be obtained at www.ncsla.com.
Individual applicants applying for Broker license must submit a $15,000 bond. Completed original NC Bond-BR form must be mailed following the instructions posted on the Department's website: http://www.ncdoi.com/ASD/ASD_SubmissionOfLicensingDocumentation.aspx
Applicants applying for the Broker license class must hold an active insurance producer license with one or more of the following lines of authority:
- Accident & health or sickness
- Personal lines
Licensee may not hold an active Adjuster license and an insurance producer license with Property, Casualty, and/or Personal Lines line of authority at the same time in North Carolina.
Individual Public Adjuster license applicants must submit either a $20,000 bond or a letter of credit in the amount of $20,000 from a qualified financial institution. Completed original NC Bond-PA form must be mailed. Otherwise, required documentation can be submitted by following the instructions posted on the Department's website: http://www.ncdoi.com/ASD/ASD_SubmissionOfLicensingDocumentation.aspx
If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. The documents are stated as follows and may be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax.
- A written statement explaining the circumstances.
- A certified copy of the official document which demonstrates the resolution of the charges or any final judgment.
- Documents may also be submitted directly to the North Carolina Licensing Office of PearsonVUE.
- Effective October 1st, 2010, fingerprints are required for the following initial License Classes
- Insurance producer
- Auto Physical Damage
- Credit Agent
- Limited Representative
- Public Adjuster
- Public Adjuster Business Entity
- Title Insurance
- Viatical Settlement Broker
- These fingerprint requirements do not apply to insurance producers licensed prior to October 1st, 2010 when adding additional lines of authority/licenses unless there are gaps of license authority in excess of twelve (12) months or due to non-compliance with child support or continuing education.
- A $38.00 fingerprint fee is required and fingerprints must be electronically submitted for a state and federal criminal history background check following the instructions posted on the North Carolina Department of Insurance website.
- If an applicant submits a NIPR application for a license requiring fingerprints, the applicant should wait until this initial license is issued and displaying on the National insurance producer Database (PDB) before submitting another application through NIPR for a license type requiring fingerprints or the $38.00 fingerprint fee will be charged again.
- The Department must receive and review the application, the criminal history background record, and supporting documentation from any background or screening questions with a yes response for licensure decision. Please be aware that this may add additional processing time of four (4) to six (6) weeks for license issuance.
- Effective July 1st, 2010, individual Public Adjuster applicants and "key persons" of Public Adjuster Business Entities are required to submit fingerprints and fingerprints must be electronically submitted for a state and federal criminal history background check. Please visit http://www.ncdoi.com/ASD/ASD_PublicAdjusters.aspx for the necessary forms and instructions.