Firm type must be one of the following:
- Limited Liability Company
- Limited Liability Partnership
Applicant cannot enter DBA name.
Before a business entity (all types) can apply for licensure, they first must submit specific documentation, based upon their type of business, to the state for name approval. Applicant will be asked the following question during the application process: “Has name approval documentation been submitted and approved by Massachusetts Department of Insurance?”
Applicant must provide the business entity name approval confirmation number from the Massachusetts Division of Insurance.
The following applies to the producer license class only:
- All designated responsible producers must have an active resident license on the producer database (does not have to be in Massachusetts).
- At least one (1) Designated Responsible Licensed Producer must be listed on the application.
- All designated responsible producers must be actively licensed in the state on the producer database (resident or non-resident of Massachusetts).
- All designated responsible producers provided on the business entity application must also be listed as members (affiliations). There may also be additional members listed outside of the designated responsible producers.
All members (affiliations) must have an active resident or non-resident license in the state on the producer database.
The members (affiliations) provided must cumulatively cover the lines of authority on the application.
At least one (1) owner, partner, officer or director must be listed on the application.
Applicant must not have an active non-resident license in the state.
Surplus lines broker applicants must actively hold both producer property and casualty lines of authority.
Surplus lines applicants are allowed to amend their license with state review. This type of amendment is only for the adding and removing of members (affiliations).
All phone and fax numbers entered on application, including submitter information, must follow these rules:
- No lengths greater than ten (10) characters.
- Numeric values only.
Variable applicants must supply FINRA Central Registry Depository (CRD) number on the application. If you need to verify your CRD number you may use the Broker Search feature found on FINRA’s website.
If applicant responds "yes" to one of the background questions please submit supporting documents electronically via NIPR's Attachments Warehouse. The documents may also be submitted to the state via mail, email, or fax. All other required documentation must be forwarded directly to the state.